Pages

Saturday, June 11, 2011

The Man and the Butterfly

Once upon a time, a man came across the cocoon of a butterfly.

One day a small opening appeared. The man sat and watched the butterfly for several hours as it struggled to force its body through the little hole. Then it seemed to stop making any progress. It appeared as if it had gotten as far as it could, and it could go no further.

So the man decided to help the butterfly. He took a pair of scissors and snipped off the remaining bit of the cocoon.
The butterfly then emerged easily. But it had a bloated body and tiny, shrivelled wings.

The man continued to watch the butterfly. He thought that at any moment the wings would enlarge and expand and the body would shrink – allowing it to be able to fly up into the air.

But neither happened. The butterfly was never able to fly and spent the rest of its life crawling around with a swollen body and shrivelled wings.
What the man did not understand was that the butterfly’s struggle to get out of the tiny opening in the cocoon was required to force fluid from its body to its wings so that it would be ready for flight once it emerged.
In his kindness, the man ultimately harmed the butterfly.

Moral: Sometimes struggles are exactly what we need in our lives. If we went through our lives without any obstacles, it would cripple us.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

My brother-in-law told me a variation of this story today and I had to look it up. I'm posting it here now, but will blog about it tomorrow.

I realized that I do not have time to write a post every day, so instead, on my way to work, I have started talking to God more about what I am thankful for rather than what I am worried about. It has helped tremendously and I will continue to do this because I know how much I like to hear my son tell me thank you, I know God loves to hear it too.

I'll post my thoughts about this story tomorrow. Good night and God bless you my friends!

1 comment:

  1. What a great little story...definitely something to think about! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete